Spain Savvy’s top ten reasons to visit Portugal
1) Close proximity to Spain! It’s an easy stop-over or added leg to your Spanish journey.
2) Freshly-baked pastels de natas on every corner.
3) Portugal’s national drink (port or porto – a fortified wine) is ubiquitous across the country, particularly in its eponymous home. Try a port cocktail spritzer for a real treat!
4) Your dollar stretches further – as Europe’s second cheapest destination, a luxury stay here is refreshingly affordable.
5) Lisbon is Europe’s sunniest capital city with close to 3,000 hours of sunshine a year.
6) The exquisite coastlines of the Algarve and the Estoril coasts (“the Portuguese Riviera”)
7) The islands of Madeira (picturesque landscapes) and the Azores (Europe’s answer to Hawaii)
8) Lisbon’s authentic, time-worn charm – century-old wooden trams and iron funiculars still lurch and rumble their way through the city.
9) Hidden cities like Tavira, Sintra, Bombarral…it’s easy to go off-the-beaten-track and discover the real Portugal.
10) Friendly hosts – almost all of the Portuguese people are fluent in English and welcoming to curious tourists.